On Sunday, May 6, my friend Alonso Cardeñas invited me to go with him to el clásico, the football derby match between cross-town rivals Alianza Lima and Universitario. I had had a long night of partying on Saturday, but there was no way I'd pass up seeing my first South American football match -- and a derby to boot! I dragged myself out of bed at 2 and, luckily for me, only had to put on shabby clothes before heading out the door. Alonso warned me that football matches attract pickpockets; thus, I should wear only a shirt and jeans and bring only the money I needed for the ticket and some food. For added effect, he told me I shouldn't shave either. I guess there's nothing more intimidating in Peru than a chino who looks like Grizzly Adams. I was ready to go.
Football derbies are always special sporting events. They are the epitome of sporting passion and occupy pride of place in local and regional history. Derbies also bring out the most intense emotions and expressions of pride in fans: they are louder, and more vociferous, in their cheers, applause, and chants when their opponents also happen to be their neighbors. Buenos Aires teams Boca Juniors and River Plate are known to host the most spectacular, and sometimes violent, clashes. The Lima clásico is hardly known outside of the country, but I had no qualms. A world football fan myself, I value any and all opportunities to see a live match.
Alonso's father was kind enough to drive us to the stadium. Amazingly, he and Alonso are veterans of the 1986 (Mexico) and 1990 (Italy) World Cups. They even got to see the final of the '86 Cup between Argentina and West Germany. This was the famous 3-2 match in which Argentina's Diego Maradona helped his country win with the "Hand of God" goal -- a goal that had gone in off his hand, without the referee noticing. Clearly I was in good company.
Alonso and I got out of the car about six or seven blocks from the stadium. We immediately found ourselves in a throng of people who were making their way to see the game. It was delightful chaos. Streets were closed, police were patrolling on horse and on foot, and ticket-hawkers lined the sidewalks advertising (by shouting) their goods.
Alonso stopped at one seller and asked for tickets. We were presented with two options: cheap tickets for the open "South" section of the stadium or slightly more expensive tickets for the "West" section. At first I went for the West tickets, as I figured I'd want to watch the match with the full pitch in equal view. Alonso hesitated and said, "But this is Peru. The quality isn't very good." (That is, I didn't need to worry about seeing everything that happened on the pitch.) He then clarified his statement by saying that we'd have much more fun in the South section, where Alianza's fans, known as the "Comando Svr," sang, chanted, and beat drums throughout the match. (I later learned that the fans spell "Sur" with a "v" instead of a "u" because their fiercest rivals, Universitario, also go by the nickname "La U.") Once Alonso told me this, I knew exactly what to do. I bought myself a ticket for the South section.
We made our way to the long line of people waiting to get into the South entrance. I was probably the only non-Peruvian in the lot; this was truly a locals-only thing. Alonso and I wound our way around the block and took our place in the line. While we were waiting, I bought an Alianza Lima jersey from a vender and put it on over my shabby shirt. I was now in my true colors. It's not that Alonso is an Alianza fan and so I had to be one too; rather, Alianza has a history of being the "people's team," whereas La U was/is known to attract the more shi-shi classes in Lima. As Alonso would say, "I am a man of the people."
The line eventually started moving, albeit very slowly. I discovered then that Peruvian police don't mess around. Any line-cutters or trash-talkers were beaten with batons or policemen's bare hands. I tempered my shock when the kids who were the object of these beatings laughed at their tormenters and generally acknowledged their rascaliness. This response was, for me, an interesting lesson in Peruvian social relations, and specifically how people here deal with police and (the threat of) violence.
Once Alonso and I got in the stadium, we squeezed our way through the frenzied crowd and got seats on the top of the South section. The stadium's nickname is Matute, and it can hold up to 35,000 people. This is actually on the low-end of stadium capacity; Universitario's stadium, for example, can hold 80,000 people. At any rate, across from us, in the North section, was a huge swath of La U fans. Police surrounded their section, making sure that violence didn't erupt between rival bands of rabid supporters.
The match kicked off at 3:30, and for the first twenty minutes or so everyone was on the edge of his seat, waiting for the match's breakthrough goal. Unfortunately for Alianza, the team was playing like shit and La U controlled the game both offensively and defensively. In particular, one Renzo Benavides, a striker, seemed sluggish and out of form, as he never completed his runs in a way that showed he really wanted the ball. Fans started to give him shit, all the while calling him by his somewhat undesirable nickname, El Gordo, or fat one. (When Benavides was later substituted in the second half, he was whistled off the pitch and, rather than join his teammates on the bench, elected to go straight to the locker room.)
As the match wore on, Alonso and I grew bored, but the Comando Svr remained vibrant and upbeat. This was genuine blood-support. As the saying goes, these people bleed the colors of their team. Their efforts seemed to pay off close to the half-hour mark, when Alianza was awarded a penalty after a foul in the penalty area. La U's goal was directly in front of our section, so we got to see the action unfold before our eyes. Unfortunately, after a moment of hushed anticipation, the penalty-taker missed the goal entirely as the ball sailed wide of the net. "CONCHA SU MADRE!!" roared the crowd. We were devastated.
After halftime, the pace started to pick up again. Only La U was the one to strike first. Their defender headed in a goal from a corner (which bounced off the heads of two other La U players), made possible by some truly shambolic defending by the Alianza squad. The La U supporters rushed to the front of their section in a wave of red, a typical South American way of celebrating a goal. They then picked up their singing and urged their team to get another one.
The match was dire for the next half-hour. Alianza was desperate to get a goal, but La U's defense was rock-solid. Even the Comando Svr seemed resigned to a home loss. On the few occasions when Alianza produced a close shot on La U's goal, all one heard was a blast of "CONCHA SU MADRE!!" from the crowd -- a reflexive, primal scream decrying our bad luck.
In the 88th minute, however, completely against the run of play, an Alianza midfielder scored a fine goal from just outside the penalty box. The South section was awakened from its relative slumber and we all jumped up and down and cheered, somewhat amazed that we were able to claw our way back into the game.
But, as is so often the case with the shifting fortunes of sport, our hearts were broken not three minutes later, when La U produced a classic counter-attack and scored the winner in stoppage time. We were so taken aback (from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows) by the goal that we couldn't even muster a "concha su madre" in response. We were deflated; our fate was sealed.
After the match, Alonso and I made our way out of the stadium with the rest of the Alianza fans. We walked in a kind of daze, slightly depressed that our team had lost the derby in the second-to-last minute of play. Still, we appreciated the action -- two goals in five minutes! -- that we did see in the end, and I was glad to have experienced my first South American football match.
Later that evening, in Miraflores, a guy driving a Volkswagen passed by Alonso and me on the street. He must have seen my jersey, and so he shouted something to us, in Spanish, which I could neither hear well nor translate. He kept repeating his question, but I kept responding with a blank face. Alonso, too, couldn't tell what the driver was saying, perhaps because he was still distracted by Alianza's defeat. The Volkswagen guy drove away after a handful of these blank exchanges. Just a few seconds later Alonso said, "Oh, he was asking us, 'Who won the game?'"
Monday, May 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment