Wednesday, September 5, 2007

One Night at Mochileros

The eight months of summer I've enjoyed between South America and the United States came to a screeching halt yesterday. All the stress and anxiety of "being back in school" (even though I'm not taking classes, I feel the weight of academic work -- i.e., my dissertation -- pressing down on me, flooding my conscience) came to a head in a situation that left me wondering, How'd things go so sour so quickly? The signature line of G.O.B. (from my latest TV obsession, Arrested Development) rang all too true for me: "I've made a huge mistake."

Whether or not yesterday's situation could have been avoided, one thing is clear: I feel old habits creeping up on me. Or, more precisely, I'm losing touch with the self I became while living abroad and traveling around in South America. Which is why I'm taking this opportunity to remind myself of the great joy I experienced there and to imagine how I might continue to live a happy, fulfilling life based on friendship and openness.

What better way to bring this experience back to the fore than to present scenes from a bar in Lima? The night was May 11, and I joined Jorge, Tammy, Emily, Angela, and others on a wild bar-hopping trip around Barranco. Most of these photos were taken at Mochileros, a trendy bar housed in a quaint colonial-type building just off the main square. Jorge and Tammy knew the owner of Mochileros, which meant that we got a free drink or three thrown into the mix. All photos are courtesy of Emily Jump and her awesome travel blog survey of the universe.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Things got started at Juanito's, where Barranco's most recognizable roaming guitarist serenaded Angela with a little ditty. I forget the specific lyrics of his riff on a famous love song, but I do remember Jorge's chorus: "Por atras."

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Jorge: writer, philosopher, drunk.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Don't worry, folks: Angela and Emily are only playing innocent.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Longtime compaƱeros: Jorge and Tammy doin' the dance once more.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I may have wished for another bottle of Cristal.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Jorge to himself: "Emily's got issues."

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sandra thinking, What have I done to deserve this?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
An unforgettable tableau: Kinohi singing, Emily growling, and Jorge wondering, Who the fuck are these people?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Not a camera effect: by the end of the night, we were all seeing blurry. Only the next shot of pisco showed up clearly.

No comments: